Goodnight Mister Tom

We are currently reading this book, Goodnight Mister Tom in English. It is set at the 1930's at the very beggining of WW2. Willie, a boy who was sent to the country for saftey, finds himself with a lonley man named Tom Oakley. Willie is a very timid boy, he is very consious about keeping his socks pulled up because he has many sore bruses and scatches from being whipped with a belt from his strictly religous mother. He doesn't have an eduction because of being bullied at his old home. Willie soon become aware and has to ajust to all the comforts of living in the country.

Mister Tom (as he is called by Willie) also has to ajust to living with company, (other than his dog Sammy). With the war just being acounced and having a boy to care about, Tom is made to open up to the world around him and become part of the community. Being out and about brings up neglected momories of his past on wife, Rachel.

I am really suprisedhow much i am enjoying this book. In class we have been discussing the book and i realise how much I don't take in when reading by myself. I thought to myself when we began the novel, 'great just another boring historical war book'. But i am actully really enjoying the book. I think it is written really well, including humour and serious parts, also it gives you a idea about the environment of living in the war. I haven't finished it yet but when i do I will write again.      

« May 2017 »
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .